Training and Induction
New Directors will be provided with:
- The Gloucestershire Learning Alliance Multi-Academy Trust Handbook
- Guidance on how to access the websites of the GLA and of the member Academies, what is contained on those sites (including links to the most recent Inspection report), and what paper documentation the new Director would welcome to supplement the electronic information.
- An electronic copy of the Company Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Advice on what training will be available to them, both from within the Trust and from others sources. Those who have not previously had experience of a Governor role will be expected to join a Local Authority new governor training course.
Ongoing training and development and annual review
The GLA encourages Directors and Local Governing Body members to continue their personal training and development through a number of routes:
- Within the GLA, pre-meeting training is provided prior to some LGB meetings, and is open to Directors and Local Governors from all schools to attend. Such training will regularly cover issues such as data analysis, safeguarding, special educational needs, curriculum and testing, and financial processes and management.
- Directors and Local Governors are provided with information about training delivered by other organisations, particularly Gloucestershire County Council, and are welcome to join such events, attendance at which is funded by the GLA.
- The Board endeavours to undertake review and training across the whole MAT at some point each year. In 2014, for example, Directors and Local Governors engaged in a two session review of the Trust’s progress and governance arrangements, and subsequently undertook some revisions to these. In 2015, the focus of the Directors was on what was particular about the Gloucestershire Learning Alliance, and therefore what was expected of each member Academy. In 2016-17, it is planned that the focus will be on skills audits across the Board and the Local Governing Bodies.